February 1, 2011

Shrimp Corn Chowder


Is the winter's storms getting you down? Need something warm to cuddle up with while you celebrate not having to work? I have just the winter dinner for you to try! Its easy to make (always good when you want to couch it on your day off) and inexpensive! While I would usually freeze soups that yield this amount, this one doesn't freeze well, so make sure you are in the mood for several corn chowder lunches!

Shrimp Corn Chowder
makes 8 servings


Ingredients
1/2 sweet yellow onion, small dice
1 large or two small Idaho potatoes, 1 inch dice
2 cans no-salt-added creamed corn
1 Cup milk (do not use skim, but any other percentage will work)
2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp fresh or 1/2 Tbsp dried parsley
4-5 raw shrimp per serving 


Place onions and potatoes in a pan and just cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove lid and salt, cooking about 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Add both cans of creamed corn and heat through. Add the milk and butter and heat again, do not let this boil. Once the chowder is hot through taste and adjust your seasoning. 


Because there are only two people in my house hold I will not add the shrimp to the whole batch of chowder, I will cook it in individual servings. Peel the shrimp and rough chop them into 1/2 inch pieces. While chowder is hot and ready to serve stir in the amount needed for servings and let cook about 3 minutes, til opaque and pink. Garnish with parsley. 


You always want large pieces of lettuce for a Caesar salad
I served this up tonight with a big Caesar salad. My quick trick for croutons is to use up any crackers or left over bread you have hanging around. I used a focaccia cracker broken into smaller pieces. If you want to make your own croutons toast cubes of day old bread sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper, and garlic. I have not attempted my own dressing, maybe later this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment